Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Old pieces but you can still wear them 15 years later

These are a hoot...they were carved by an 80 year old Alaska Indian
Who was bed ridden and used to carve real totem poles ...I bought a few pieces from his sister and you can tell he was a real artist the colors where so real and the abalone details and eyes so beautiful
this was also Silver and gold. This is SS and Gold ,acid etched and I called it my coin bracelet
.Once again it makes a great sound when you move your arm ...I was raised in the Air Force so my Dad traveled alot and he had a coin bracelet made for me from coins he had collect from his travels and I just loved wearing it and making a racket..what fun.

This is probably one of the very first pieces I made using a craved ivory piece that was my great grandmother's(MAMA Vignes was born in New Orleans..her Father was a sea Captain and her maiden name was Kitteringham)I cast the back piece and attached it with long prongs that laid in the carved groves ...I also made the chain.It's fun to take things out of that jewelry box you would never wear but they are too special to throw away and let an Artist like myself create something special you can pass on to the next generation..Recycle at it's best....after 5 kiddos I love the problem solving aspect of it.



This is a fun pin ...it's about 6 inches long and is a square tube with 14kt gold...the stone I bought in Flat Head Lake ,Montana..on a summer vacation with the whole family...in a one room cabin...(that's another whole story)back to the stone; it was like a painting and had so many colors and shapes I just fell in love with it and the little one hanging has a perfect pompom in it....fun piece to wear on winter hats or scarves.




This is definitely the 80's...big earrings were in ...gold and silver and acid etched and diamond tube set...this has what I call "upper body presence" keep everyone looking up as other parts of our body go south,or east or west.
I have lots more from my earlier years that I will be posting because I found the Mother Load of negatives and I have been doing more painting with my pearls and beads in necklaces lately
so it's fun for me to share with you these old friends(I do have an emotional relationship with each piece....it's not done until my eye tells me).